REPAIR CAFE HASSOCKS
Repair Café Hassocks opens on 26 September 2021 10.00AM - 1.00PM
The Repair Café Hassocks runs at the URC Church Hall in Hassocks from 10-1.00 every fourth Saturday (Hassocks Market day) apart from December and August.
Bring your items for repair, talk to the volunteer repairers and have a cup of tea or coffee while they look at what’s needed. Some repairs are simple enough to do at the café, others will be taken home by our repairers and you can pick them up when ready. Book a slot for your repair HERE.
The Repair Procedure
- Book in advance if you can (complete booking form on Facebook or website)
Make sure you have read the ‘House Rules’ and are happy to accept them
Some repairs can be done at the Repair Café, others will be taken by repairers to their home workshops for you to pick up when repair is finished
Bring your item to the Repair Café, talk to a repairer about the problem, they will give advice, discuss options for repair
If parts are needed repairer will let you know the cost and if you agree you will need to reimburse the repairer
Repairs are at your own risk, we’re not responsible for damage to items in transit or while being repaired.
Our repair service is free, although donations are appreciated to cover our costs
Our amazing repair volunteers have responded to almost 200 repair requests in the last 9 months. We can’t repair everything, but we can point you towards professional repairers who may be able to help if we can’t. Even if you don’t have something to be repaired, or have already had a repair done remotely, do come along and say hello.
Repair Café Hassocks is where you can bring your broken things - clothes, household items, small appliances, furniture, toys etc. and a team of volunteers will be on hand to help you to mend it. For big repairs which are not possible in a few short hours, we have shared a list of repair professional services (see below).
Keep up to date with our news:
REPAIR CAFE INTERNATIONAL
EXAMPLES OF REPAIRS
Clothing and textiles
mending rips and tears in clothing
replacing missing press studs with button and button holes
vacuum cleaner issues (e.g. poor suction)
problems with plugs, fuses, flexes / cables (eg hair dryer / iron)
checking battery condition
toasters (but can’t fix broken element)
food mixers (although spare parts often required)
Other household items
tightening loose handles
broken items suitable for gluing
knife and scissor sharpening
re-attaching a missing wheel - from wooden truck, etc
tightening or gluing loose or broken parts
re-stitching soft toys
Wood and furniture
reattaching a wood handle to a drawer
gluing loose parts
tightening/gluing a wobbly leg on a chair or stool
Computers, tablets and mobile phones
help with the basics of software and apps
charging, power lead and battery issues
minor clock repairs
REPAIR CAFE HASSOCKS HOUSE RULES
1. Booking is required while Covid-19 restrictions apply.
2. Items for repair (clothing, textiles, appliances toys etc) must be clean.
3. If parts are needed (e.g. a new zip) the owner will need to bring these with the item for repair.
4. We do not accept some items for repair, including microwaves, pressure cookers, bicycles, child car seats or anything you cannot carry in.
5. Visitors bringing broken items for repair do so at their own risk.
6. Repairers offer no guarantee for the repairs and are not liable if objects repaired in the Repair Café turn out not to work properly at home.
7. Repairers are entitled to refuse to repair items.
8. Visitors are responsible for tidy removal of broken objects that could not be repaired.
9. A voluntary donation towards the costs of running the Repair Café is greatly appreciated.
10. During busy times only one item per person will be examined.
11. The work carried out in the Repair Café is performed free of charge on a voluntary basis by the repair experts on hand. The fact that the repairs are done by unpaid volunteers reflects the allocation of risks and limitation of liability: neither the organisers of the Repair Café nor the repairers are liable for any loss that may result from advice or instructions concerning repairs, for the loss of items handed over for repairs, for indirect or consequential loss or for any other kind of loss resulting from work performed in the Repair Café. The limitations set forth in these House Rules shall not apply to claims declared justified on the basis of liability arising by virtue of applicable consumer protection legislations which cannot be lawfully superseded.
Proper Cycling and Coffee - 01273 841 61126
Keymer Rd, Hassocks
Hassocks Community Cycle Hire - 07521 961 909
Modern Interior - 07795 003 452
Handy Man Friday - 07784 719 661
Chris Coop carpentry - 07796 140 962
Smarty’s Dry Cleaners - 01273 845 93945
Keymer Rd, Hassocks
Hurstpierpoint Alterations - 01273 918 99756
High St, Hurstpierpoint
Richard James - 07816 082 911
Hollingum Electrical Ltd. - 07818 017 917
Handy Man Friday - 07784 719 661
FURNITURE AND UPHOLSTERY
Andrew Burston - 7967 518 45
04 Unit 10, Turner Dumbrell Workshops, Ditchling
Lou (Coates) Upholstery - 07818 472 833
My Vintage, 46 Keymer Rd, Hassocks
Martin the Table Doctor (repair and revive wood furniture) - 01273 400 184 / 07950 001 992
Helen Streeter Marvellous Marmalade - 07787 503 453
(Work referred through Repair Cafe)
Lawn Mower Services - 07719 303 299
Collection and delivery
Rob Haskins - 07771 588 577
A&D Computer and Electronics Repairs - 01444 471 578
More Farm Business Centre, Wivelsfield Green
Patricia Rykiel (software for pc/computer/tablet/iPhones ) - 01444 253 702 / 07765 132 270
SOFT FURNISHINGS: CURTAINS, CUSHIONS, ROMAN BLINDS, LOOSE COVERS
Val Anderson - 07599 009 440
TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE AND REPAIR CLOTHING AND SOFT FURNISHINGS
Sarah at Made and Making - 07967 819 540
South Downs Garden Centre, Hassocks