REPAIR CAFE HASSOCKS
Repair Café Hassocks is moving!
From January 2023 the Repair Café will be alongside the village market at the Age Concern Centre on Dale Avenue. Bring items for repair between 9.30-11.30 am. We try to complete simpler repairs that morning by 12.30. More complex tasks can be taken home by our repairers for pick up later.
There is not need to book, but if you’re unsure whether we can repair your items please feel free to email, phone, or message us on Facebook or Instagram.
In our second year, the Repair Café received 246 items for repair: a wide assortment of household equipment like vacuum cleaners, radios, toasters, clocks, mixers, and food processors, along with jackets, shirts, and coats needing zips and buttons, toys, wood furniture, and ornaments. More unusual items included a 60-year-old doll missing an arm, a raclette grill, a violin, a 70-year-old leather holdall needing some stitches, and a toy rabbit that had been chewed by a puppy.
Thanks to generous donations we covered all our costs and ended the year with a small surplus. Our amazing and talented repairers achieved an 80% success rate. While some things can’t be repaired because parts are not available or electronics have failed, our repairers can have a look and can often get things fixed. We can also offer advice on items that you may be able to fix yourself or refer you to professionals who can help with things that we can’t.
We’re always keen to recruit new repairers to keep up with rising demand so if you’re good at fixing things, whether electrical items or computers, sharpening tools, sewing zips, or other more specialist items please do contact us at email@example.com or by
phone 01273 040110.
We look forward to having you bring in your items for repair, talk to the volunteer repairers, and have a cup of tea or coffee while they look at what’s needed:
- Walk-ins, no booking is required but feel free to get in touch to be sure we can help fix your items
Make sure you have read the ‘House Rules’ and are happy to accept them
Some repairs can be done at the Repair Café, others will be taken by repairers to their home workshops for you to pick up when a repair is finished
Bring your item to the Repair Café, and talk to a repairer about the problem, they will give advice, and discuss options for repair
If parts are needed repairer will let you know the cost and if you agree you will need to reimburse the repairer
Repairs are at your own risk, we’re not responsible for damage to items in transit or while being repaired
Our repair service is free, although donations are appreciated to cover our costs
Keep up to date with our news:
REPAIR CAFE INTERNATIONAL
EXAMPLES OF REPAIRS
Clothing and textiles
mending rips and tears in clothing
replacing missing press studs with button and button holes
vacuum cleaner issues (e.g. poor suction)
problems with plugs, fuses, flexes / cables (eg hair dryer / iron)
checking battery condition
toasters (but can’t fix broken element)
food mixers (although spare parts often required)
Other household items
tightening loose handles
broken items suitable for gluing
knife and scissor sharpening
re-attaching a missing wheel - from wooden truck, etc
tightening or gluing loose or broken parts
re-stitching soft toys
Wood and furniture
reattaching a wood handle to a drawer
gluing loose parts
tightening/gluing a wobbly leg on a chair or stool
Computers, tablets and mobile phones
help with the basics of software and apps
charging, power lead and battery issues
minor clock repairs
REPAIR CAFE HASSOCKS HOUSE RULES
1. Items for repair (clothing, textiles, appliances toys etc) must be clean.
2. If parts are needed (e.g. a new zip) the owner will need to bring these with the item for repair.
3. We do not accept some items for repair, including microwaves, pressure cookers, bicycles, child car seats or anything you cannot carry in.
4. Visitors bringing broken items for repair do so at their own risk.
5. Repairers offer no guarantee for the repairs and are not liable if objects repaired in the Repair Café turn out not to work properly at home.
6. Repairers are entitled to refuse to repair items.
7. Visitors are responsible for tidy removal of broken objects that could not be repaired.
8. A voluntary donation towards the costs of running the Repair Café is greatly appreciated.
9. During busy times only one item per person will be examined.
10. The work carried out in the Repair Café is performed free of charge on a voluntary basis by the repair experts on hand. The fact that the repairs are done by unpaid volunteers reflects the allocation of risks and limitation of liability: neither the organisers of the Repair Café nor the repairers are liable for any loss that may result from advice or instructions concerning repairs, for the loss of items handed over for repairs, for indirect or consequential loss or for any other kind of loss resulting from work performed in the Repair Café. The limitations set forth in these House Rules shall not apply to claims declared justified on the basis of liability arising by virtue of applicable consumer protection legislations which cannot be lawfully superseded.
Proper Cycling and Coffee - 01273 841 61126
Keymer Rd, Hassocks
Hassocks Community Cycle Hire - 07521 961 909
Modern Interior - 07795 003 452
Handy Man Friday - 07784 719 661
Chris Coop carpentry - 07796 140 962
Smarty’s Dry Cleaners - 01273 845 93945
Keymer Rd, Hassocks
Hurstpierpoint Alterations - 01273 918 99756
High St, Hurstpierpoint
Richard James - 07816 082 911
Hollingum Electrical Ltd. - 07818 017 917
Handy Man Friday - 07784 719 661
FURNITURE AND UPHOLSTERY
Andrew Burston - 7967 518 45
04 Unit 10, Turner Dumbrell Workshops, Ditchling
Lou (Coates) Upholstery - 07818 472 833
My Vintage, 46 Keymer Rd, Hassocks
Martin the Table Doctor (repair and revive wood furniture) - 01273 400 184 / 07950 001 992
Helen Streeter Marvellous Marmalade - 07787 503 453
(Work referred through Repair Cafe)
Lawn Mower Services - 07719 303 299
Collection and delivery
Rob Haskins - 07771 588 577
A&D Computer and Electronics Repairs - 01444 471 578
More Farm Business Centre, Wivelsfield Green
Patricia Rykiel (software for pc/computer/tablet/iPhones ) - 01444 253 702 / 07765 132 270
SOFT FURNISHINGS: CURTAINS, CUSHIONS, ROMAN BLINDS, LOOSE COVERS
Val Anderson - 07599 009 440
TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE AND REPAIR CLOTHING AND SOFT FURNISHINGS
Sarah at Made and Making - 07967 819 540
South Downs Garden Centre, Hassocks